Friday 27 September 2013

Contentment in a Consumer Society (1)


I rejoiced in the Lord greatly that now at length you have revived your concern for me. You were indeed concerned for me, but you had no opportunity. Not that I am speaking of being in need, for I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content. I know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound. In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need. I can do all things through him who strengthens me. Yet it was kind of you to share my trouble.

Philippians 4:10-14

The only sure defence for a budget is contentment! Contentment, however, does not come naturally. St Paul had to learn it, as he explains in the above passage.

It seems to me that many people read the above passage and assume that when Paul wrote, ‘I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need’, that the harder lesson was doing without things. But I suspect that the harder lesson for Paul was facing plenty and having an abundance.

I think this is likely because Paul seems to have come from a rich family who were Roman citizens, whose wealth was probably the means for him to study the Jewish law and to become a successful Pharisee, so that there always lingered the temptation for him to settle back into a comfortable lifestyle.

This weekend and next, I will set out a few of the more basic principles of contentment and, in doing so, I am indebted to Jeremiah Burroughs’s book, The Rare Jewel of Christian Contentment.

The road to contentment can only start by making up our minds to trust God. As Burroughs explains, we cannot make a ship go steady by propping it outside but there must be ballast inside the ship to keep it steady. A dogged trust in the God who made us and saved us is the ballast that will keep a Christian going steady in difficult times.

Burroughs also compares getting more involved in ‘world affairs’ to walking among thorns, when we could just as easily have gone another way. This does not mean that we should withdraw from society unnecessarily, as if we could find peace and contentment in an insulated Christian commune. Rather, it means to reject and avoid many of society’s values, ambitions, principles and strategies.

At a purely practical level, we need to remember that a consumer society engineers a great deal of dissatisfaction and discontent in order to keep people spending. The whims and fancies that society would persuade us are important are, in fact, important to very few people, if any at all. 

I would invite you to think deeply about what motivates you to spend on goods and services that you do not need. I am not suggesting that all these things may be illegitimate or unimportant purchases, only that you consider your motivations.


_____________________________________________

You have been sent this e-mail because you subscribed to Reflections on God & Money. Copyright © All Souls Clubhouse Community Centre & Church and Philip Evans 2013.

Scripture quotations are from The Holy Bible, English Standard Version® (ESV®), copyright © 2001 by Crossway, a publishing ministry of Good News Publishers. Used by permission. All rights reserved.  

Handling money and dealing with debt can be complicated and neither the author nor anyone else involved in the production of these Reflections is responsible for any action you take, or fail to take, based on what is written here. You are invited to put a link on your website to these Reflections. You are welcome to copy these Reflections for personal study or for circulation to family and friends on a non-profit basis. For any other purpose, whether or not for profit, you will require written permission in advance from the author before copying, reproducing or transmitting extracts in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical, including photocopying, recording or using any information storage and retrieval system.